Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Comfortably Numb

A few weeks ago, I ran across Pink Floyd's The Wall - the Movie on TV. Wow. Somehow I missed out that there was a movie (I’m more of a Wish You Were Here kinda gal) and had never listen to the album all the way through. Additionally, it never before clicked that this album was one of the greatest “Concept” albums of all time. Naturally, I hit the Internet and started searching for lists of the greatest concept albums ever. While on this little journey, I ran across a comment that got me thinking. The author pointed out that The Wall was release as a vinyl record (remember those?) so the listener had to stop and flip the record over to listen to the other side. This pause in the action was important because it provided just enough time between the first and second sides to accommodate a subtle shift in mood. Of course that pause no longer exists in the digital age. With digitized music, we can listen all the way through, but did we lose something along the way? It's impressive to note that this comment was posted by a 14 year old (pretty smart kid, if you ask me.)

It struck me that as our lives have become more computerized, technical and digitized, we tend to forget to take that needed pause. We have cell phones, email, text messaging, wireless Internet on airplanes, and 24/7 global business. We can work ALL THE TIME! We ignore warning signals from bodies by taking pills. We have trouble sleeping, then drink caffeine to keep us alert during the day. It’s crazy, but it’s our cultural norm. We can survive this way, but I seriously doubt anyone can truly thrive this way for an extended period of time. We need a pause. Our bodies and our minds need rest – REAL rest. Just like listening to The Wall is a richer experience with the intended pause, our quality of life improves if we take pause in our day. I see yoga as a means to pause and re-connect with the body while clearing the mind. In my practice, I consciously focus on breathing deeply in and out through my nose. I also have to focus on not letting my mind jump around in hyper-activity while I’m trying to relax tense muscles (quite a challenge). I view yoga as an endless toolbox that’s fully stocked with different ways to help us establish and maintain balance in our lives. It’s not easy and it's an ongoing PRACTICE. We can do yoga-based exercise to get a good calorie burn. True yoga, according to Patanjali's Sutras, is the cessation of the fluctuations of the mind ("Yogaś citta-vritti-nirodhaḥ"). Yoga can be meditation in motion. Yoga Nidra (deep relaxation) and restorative yoga offer the opportunity to go deep and connect with one's true self.

Once again, I reference the time I spent training with Seane Corn. Someone in the class asked her about what her personal practice was like. Seane responded that it depended on what the day ahead looked like. If she was going to have a more yang (active) day, her practice was more yin (relaxing) and vice versa. Basically, it’s not necessary to drive ourselves constantly. We need to pause and give ourselves a break. Sit for five minutes with your eyes closed and take long inhales and exhales. Count to five or six as you inhale and the same on the exhale. Visualize your breath coming in and out of your body. Clear your mind of all else. It’s a small pause, but it can be a significant start. Now go lie on the floor, close your eyes and listen to Comfortably Numb. Pure bliss. :)

“Practice and all will come.” Sri K. Pattabhi Jois

No comments:

Post a Comment