Sunday, November 8, 2009

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog! I've been planning on starting and maintaining a yoga-related blog for a while. Thanks to my good friend and fellow yogini, Mandy Eubanks, I finally figured it out!

In my classes there are two things I consistently say to my students. The first is "check your ego at the door and celebrate your small victories." Letting your ego into your yoga practice is an easy way to become vulnerable to injury. Both your Ego and your Inner Judge are not necessary to have with you in your yoga practice. Leave them outside the studio and try to find your Inner Child. :)

The second thing that's important to remember, and related to the first, is that flexibility is neither a requirement of yoga nor the goal of yoga. Flexibility is something that happens with practice. I tell all my new students that all they need to do is to breath deeply and connect with their body. Everything else is gravy.

It's also important to keep in mind that one's yoga practice need not be linear. "Growing" your practice may not mean learning or being able to do "show poses." Some people have bodies and abilities that enable them to do more advanced poses relatively easily, but they may struggle with quieting their minds. There is always some kind of work we need to do to evolve our personal practice, both on the mat and off. I'll leave you to ponder that thought...

Until next time, namaste! Noelle

3 comments:

  1. I just subscribed to your blog :) Very cool! One suggestion, you should be able to add the orange RSS icon somewhere on your page. That would help. People like me with short attention spans might not look all the way down for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank god for social media guru friends. Great suggestion, Bri! Now I just need to figure out how to implement. ;-)

    ReplyDelete