Sunday, May 2, 2010

Letting students grow...

I love and appreciate the students that regularly attend my classes.  Quite simply, they inspire me to be a more regular and devoted student in my own practice.  Each student's attendance may ebb and flow so sometimes I don't see a student for several weeks or months.  When they reappear, they sometimes give me a guilty look and apologize for not coming to my class.  I always smile and tell them, "we're all busy, things happen, it's good to see you, and this is not Yoga Confession."  :)

Teachers should never get attached to their students and students should feel free to attend different classes taught by different teachers.  Though I love seeing my regulars, I ultimately love seeing them exploring their overall practice, wherever that journey takes them.  Today, I practiced with two of my past regulars in the Ashtanga class following my flow class.  I enjoyed practicing with them and loved seeing the strength they both have developed in their respective practices.

Aparigraha is one of the Yamas, which is one of the branches of Yoga.  It means, non-grasping or non-hoarding.  As a teacher, I want to see my students grow and travel on their yoga journey.  All I can do is share my own with them and hope that I can make a difference in people's lives and give back all the wonderfulness I've received from Yoga.

Namaste, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment