Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No man is a failure that has friends

Recognize the quote? Most of you out there in blog-reader-land should because it comes at the very end of "It's a Wonderful Life" (and always makes me cry). Another great quote along the same lines, is "No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main..." ~John Donne. Both make the same point that we need others and we need to allow them to support us from time to time. Some of us think we need to be self-sufficient and that asking for help is a sign of weakness.

A good friend of mine here in Austin is VERY pregnant – due-in-two-weeks kind of pregnant. She's a first time mother-to-be and a VERY intelligent, organized and capable woman. What impresses me is that she is smart enough to know when she to ask for help from her friends. She's 1.5 cm dilated which, according to her OB/GYN, means there's a 25% chance of her going into labor before Thanksgiving. She works north of Austin and her husband works downtown. Since rush hour traffic may prevent him from driving her to the hospital, she sent out a plea for help to me and a few other friends asking for someone to be her contingency plan. Everyone but me (who’s still in Panama) offered to be there for her (I sent her virtual support via IM). Not only was I impressed by her ability to ask for help, but I was also touched by how many folks quickly, and positively, responded.

I've been in Panama a little over two days and the folks down here have made me feel not only welcome, but safe, supported and protected. They are happy to help me with any questions and needs I have given the language barrier and my unfamiliarity with the area. They've also given me a great gift -- I feel comfortable letting them take lead and take care of me as needed. I'm usually the person making logistical arrangements and taking the lead so this is indeed a significant gift. I can relax and allow myself to be taken care and receive, but not out of weakness. Yes, this is a work trip but it's become a “vacation” of sorts from excessive accountability and responsibility. I’m re-learning to simply enjoy the ride. I hope you all give yourselves permission to do the same.   :)

Namaste, y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment