Monday, November 16, 2009

Travel Yoga

This week I'm travelling on business and (once again) I've packed a few yoga outfits with the good intention of practicing yoga on the road.  I may not get around to doing a full Ashtanga practice, but there are definitely a few "go to" poses that I like to do when I'm travelling. 

Sitting on a plane for several hours does an number on my lower back and hips.  This trip was no exception.  While waiting to leave for the airport, I settled in to some delicious Eka Pada Kapotanasanas to break up some of the stress and stiffness already existing in my hips.  I also love a good uttanasana, standing with my feet hip-width apart and knees bent slightly to prevent over-extension.  Grabbing opposite elbows helps me to resist the urge to "help" my body in the forward bend.  Just hanging loosely and completely relaxed gives the body a chance to open up on its own in its own time.  Forcing the issue is a great example of EGO involved and can lead to injury, big or small.  While on the plane, I did some neck stretches and uttanasana  waiting in line for the bathroom.  After sitting for three hours, it felt damn good to release the hamstrings.

I found out that the hotel fitness center has one of my favorite things in the world... a steam room.  Ahhhhhhhh.  I dumped my luggage in my room and dashed to the fitness center.  The steam room was heaven.  I laid on my back on the bench and put my legs up the wall.  Legs-Up-The-Wall (aka Viparita Karani) is a fantastic restorative inversion and my all-time favorite travel yoga pose.  This pose is particularly great for jetlag and post-skiing/hiking.  I followed up the steam bath with a cold shower.  Buh-bye stress!

Tomorrow morning I'm planning on a traditional 45 minute sweat-fest on the elliptical trainer, followed by some simple lunges and more pigeon pose (just can't get enough deep hip-openers). 

Adios and namaste from Panama City!

No comments:

Post a Comment