Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Teachers are students, too!

I have not been to a yoga class as a student in about two months. Seriously. I wasn't a complete slacker, however, because every year I focus on rowing 200k meters on my rowing machine between Thanksgiving and Christmas -- not on the water, but on my living room. It's the Holiday Challenge with Concept II, but I digress.

Anyway, today I plotted to attend a vinyasa yoga class. Here's the clincher... I went to a class at a studio I've never attended, taught by a teacher I've never met. I’m a creature of habit so an adventure such as this requires extra motivation. I need to branch out a bit into the greater Austin yoga community. As I got ready, I realized I actually felt nervous! My iPhone Scrabble application nearly talked me out of going.

Well, I sucked it up and went to the class. Once there, I plopped myself down near the front and looked around the room. There was one man (kudos to him!) and about 10 other women of varying ages and body types. The teacher glided into the room in a "Glinda-the-Good" kind of way with just as much effervescence. I introduced myself and admitted I was a fellow teacher. I made sure to mention that I hadn’t practiced in a while just to set realistic, fellow-teacher expectations. When I attend a class as a student, I AM a student. I don’t put pressure on myself to be “perfect” because I’m definitely not. Hell, I work full time and I’m not in my 20’s and I suck at balancing… and handstands.

It was a fun class. She started us off with several sun salutations (which felt good), then eased us into standing and balancing poses with vinyasas thrown in for the sake of sweat. I tried to keep my inner ego and judge outside of the room and they managed to stay there. I tried to observe what was going on in my body in each pose and backed off when I needed to (this is what I tell my students… thank god I’m paying attention, too).

I thanked the teach for a great class and we talked about how much fun it was to just be a student. Being a student in someone else’s class is not only great exercise, but it’s wonderful to experience yoga from someone else’s teaching perspective. I’m glad I got over the hump and stepped back onto the mat. Sometimes just showing up is the significant accomplishment.

Namaste, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment